Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

For Immediate Release


ComEd Media Relations


ComEd Energy Efficiency Program Empowers Oak Park Temple with Cutting-Edge Technologies for Energy Conservation and Cost Savings

CHICAGO (November 16, 2023) – As part of its award-winning Energy Efficiency Program,  ComEd is helping customers large and small make the switch to energy-efficient, all-electric technologies that reduce energy use and save customers money on energy bills. Today, ComEd announced the installation of a new Very High Efficiency (VHE) HVAC system as part of its VHE HVAC emerging technology pilot program. In collaboration with Oak Park Temple in Oak Park, Ill., ComEd's energy efficiency team introduced an all-electric technology that both heats and cools the temple – which provides a comfortable environment for congregants and students in terms of both temperature and air quality.

"ComEd is proud to collaborate with Oak Park Temple to provide the latest technology that both provides a more comfortable environment to congregants while helping the temple save money and energy," said Lewis Binswanger, ComEd's senior vice president of governmental regulatory and external affairs. "This project exemplifies the efforts ComEd is taking in support of the goals of the Climate and Equitable Jobs Act to empower customers and promote the widespread adoption of high efficiency, next generation electric technologies."

A VHE HVAC system works by completely separating the air for heating and cooling from ventilation. Specifically, it uses high-efficient electric heat pump with liquid refrigerants to precisely control space temperatures, as well as additional equipment that brings in 100-percent fresh air using high-quality filters to keep out unwanted airborne particles. The result is a high efficiency, all-electric system that continually provides fresh air to the occupants.

The work to install the new, all electric heating and cooling equipment at Oak Park Temple included:

  • installation of energy recovery ventilation units that bring in highly filtered outside air and greatly reduce the energy used by the heating and cooling equipment;
  • replacement of a 50-year-old boiler and extremely high water use cooling system with high-efficiency, variable refrigerant flow heat pumps that provide both heating and cooling;
  • removal of asbestos; and
  • delivery of fresh air ventilation to areas of the building that had none previously.

While total energy savings is still being determined, natural gas use within the temple has been reduced by over 90 percent, with the remaining 10 percent coming only from water heating and cooking.

This equipment upgrade aligns with the temple's sustainability goals. Oak Park Temple began participating in a community solar program, while also converting the lawn into a pollinator garden with native plants, trees, and shrubs. In the past couple of years, they continued these efforts by converting its traditional lighting to more efficient LEDs lighting throughout the entire building.

"Over the years, there have been many positive sustainability shifts at Oak Park Temple to reduce our carbon footprint," said Max Weiss, Rabbi of Oak Park Temple.  "In 2021 the temple board learned that we could replace our antiquated boiler and cooling system with a newer, more efficient technology.  With the installation of our new system, we breathe 100% fresh highly filtered air, and the building is more comfortable everywhere."

Earlier this year, ComEd also supported Quinn Chapel AME Church with the installation of all-electric, high-efficiency HVAC equipment, providing air conditioning for the first time to congregants of the historic church located in Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood.

Upgrading and automating HVAC systems gives building owners greater control over their environment, reduces energy costs, and helps maintain a comfortable indoor temperature. The VHE HVAC system exemplifies the importance of clean energy, reducing carbon emissions, and enhancing indoor air quality. The ComEd Energy Efficiency Program offers incentives, technical services, and whole-building solutions to help businesses and facilities use energy more efficiently. To learn more about the Energy Efficiency program, please visit


ComEd is a unit of Chicago-based Exelon Corporation (NASDAQ: EXC), a Fortune 250 energy company with approximately 10 million electricity and natural gas customers – the largest number of customers in the U.S. ComEd powers the lives of more than 4 million customers across northern Illinois, or 70 percent of the state's population. For more information visit and connect with the company on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

© Commonwealth Edison Company, 2023. All Rights Reserved.